Re: Sorting criteria for cohousing.
From: Racheli Gai (jnpalmeattglobal.net)
Date: Sat, 29 Jun 2002 12:02:01 -0600 (MDT)
>From Racheli

Hi Ormond,
You wrote (in part):

>Wanting to make places for the poor is a fine
>idea, but cohousing is not affordable housing
>PRIMARILY, but housing for people aware enough of
>the conditions in society and their life to want
>to work with others to live a particular way.

Cohousing doesn't have to be about affordability, but
it can be, if the people who are building a community decide
to include it in their criteria.
Some of the people who are "aware enough..." ARE ones who
don't have a whole lot of money.  IMO people with meager means are often
more likely to be interested in community so that they can create support
networks for themselves.  The affluent can often buy services which low
income people need to find other ways to access.

I would also like to point out that attempting to eliminate the
affordability issue doesn't necessarily work - it only raises the bar.
After all, among the people who join there would still be those with more
money than others, and they might be
interested in spending on things which the "newly poor"
(in comparison) can ill afford...

R.