Diversity in Cohousing
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Tue, 2 Jul 2002 08:06:01 -0600 (MDT)
Re: [C-L]_Affordability/diversity/housing for the poor/rich, etc.

Again the subject has been changed.

> Re: [C-L]_Affordability/diversity/housing for the poor/rich, etc.

> Reminds me of all the right-wing attacks on legal services, where I put in
> my long hours when I'm not pulling weeds in the common lawn. It's as if
> they're complaining that it's unfair to provide the minuscule amount of free
> legal representation to the poor that Congress deigns to appropriate,
> because we don't give the same free service to rich people!

The issue is not that affordable or low income housing should not be
included in cohousing, only that if all cohousing were considered low income
or affordable (not the same thing), it will/would/does reduce diversity.

One of the reasons to include rental units is to include those people who do
not have (and/or do not want) the financial capital to purchase a unit. But
"renters" are not welcomed by many people in cohousing (or by banks). This
excludes most of the 20-30 age range, except those whose parents do not have
the capital to give them their down-payment.

Sharon Villines
Takoma Village Cohousing, Washington DC
http://www.takomavillage.org