Re: Affordability/diversity/housing for the poor/rich, etc.
From: Paul Fenn (paulfennlocal.org)
Date: Tue, 2 Jul 2002 14:38:02 -0600 (MDT)
Liz,

Thanks for your helpful suggestions, I have contacted the county redevelopment office and will follow up on it.

We are indeed a strange case because most of the "members" of our cohousing project are low income families.

We have a nonprofit corporation which is seeking someone to underwrite our loan application.

Because we are also on environmentally sensitive land our cohousing project has a second "intention" apart from housing the poor, which is ecological footprint reduction: to improve our trailer park with water collection systems (a seep runs through the land), blackwater system improvements (unincorporated and no sewer) and solar photovoltaic system installations.

There are foundations that help low income people find third party loan guarantors, but they all depend on some individual who supports the idea and will underwrite the non-profit's loan with their own money. That is what we really need to do this.

Paul