Re: Diversity of Cohousing
From: Kay Argyle (argylemines.utah.edu)
Date: Tue, 2 Jul 2002 15:59:02 -0600 (MDT)
> Median, if I'm not mistaken, is the salary that the most people make as
> opposed to the average [....]  > Sharon

The median is the point at which half the values are above and half are
below, a.k.a. the 50th percentile.  In other words, there are just as many
women who make less than $16,188 as make more.

In a symmetrical bell curve this may also be the peak (the most common
value, "the salary that the most people make"), but plenty of distributions
are asymmetric (like income) or not bell curves at all -- for instance, if
you have fourteen trout, one sheep, a human, two moscovie ducks, four blue
hairstreak butterflies, and a three-legged dog with a dozen fleas, the
average number of legs is 4, the median is 3, and the most common is none.

Another reason the median income is not the salary that the most people make
is that annual incomes of $16K tend to be wages ;-).  Equating "income" with
"salary" says something about your socioeconomic class.

Kay
at Wasatch Commons, SLC,
where there are five low-income units.