Re: Aesthetics in patterns
From: Hans Tilstra (tilstrasmartchat.net.au)
Date: Wed, 3 Jul 2002 06:25:07 -0600 (MDT)
> I'm a little unclear about your references.

Yes, the email ws a bit convoluted. I would like to have a discussion about
aesthetics though. If you have a weblink to Rosewind it would probably
enable greater discussion.

I believer that we can integrate individualism & community-mindedness. I
find cohousing  distinctive in its integration of these two qualities. (ie.
"integration" vs. either-or thinking). If cohousing becomes too
community-minded than we have this sense of living in a committee. If it
becomes too individualistic than we lose the economies of scale, the
antidotes to loneliness.

Aesthetically, the same integration can apply. To illustrate: I find that
Charles Woods ("Designing Your Natural House" and "A Natural System of House
Design") both capture both the ugliness of laissez-faire architecture and
the beauty of patterning.

:-) Hans Tilstra