Re: Diversity in Cohousing
From: Catya Belfer-Shevett (catyahomeport.org)
Date: Thu, 4 Jul 2002 13:29:02 -0600 (MDT)
Hey all,

Cohousing is not a commune.  It is not legally structured as a commune,
nor does it bill itself as being a commune.  It's somewhere in between
a condo and a commune, and exactly where depends on the people involved.
It's not fair to assume that everyone in cohousing is a communist (in the
pre-Marx sense) or shares communist ideals to the extent that you do.

It's also not fair to assume that there is only one way to divide things "fairly".

What is a "fair share"? By person? By adult? By household/unit? By square footage? By usage? By percentage of income?

There are benefits and faults with any of those systems, the last of them not more or less than the others.

FWIW - my current mini-community (6 adults and 2 kids under one roof - www.homeport.org) does a fairly complex system based on income-after-fixed-expenses, where there are 7 owners of the house at different percentage levels based on what each has put in.

Mosaic Commons passed this agreement early on, the middle of three sliding scale proposals we considered: http://www.mosaic-commons.org/Official/slidingscale.html Can't tell you how it is in practice, since we won't start using it until after move-in. (Right now all money in goes toward equity, and people work with the finance team to adjust to their financial situations as needed.

        - catya
                         ____
Catya Belfer-Shevett  ____\  /      Interested in
catya [at] pobox.com       \  / \/      Cohousing in MA?
www.catya.org          \/       www.mosaic-commons.org