Re: economic diversity and the rich
From: Robert Schrader (rmscts.com)
Date: Fri, 5 Jul 2002 21:16:01 -0600 (MDT)
At 05:34 PM 7/5/02 -0700, Woods-Eliot wrote:
Robert wrote:

I recall several people mentioning that there was a shortage of rich people in cohousing.

I can't think of a better way to scare off rich people than to tell them:
"We're starting a community based on sharing. Oh, and, by the way, some of us can't
afford to pay for our portion.  Wanna join?."

This encapsulates what has most troubled me about this thread: the assumption that the "poor" are asking the "rich" to pay for their basic living expenses.

Sorry, but I made no such assumption. ( FWIW, I'm assuming the opposite: that all involved
sincerely intend to cover their portion by earnings, labor, HUD grants, etc )

I was writing about perception, not reality; how a rich person could easily get the wrong impression
from the well-meant desire to include people of lesser income.
Robert Schrader
Fifth Avenue Books
3838 Fifth Avenue
San Diego, Ca, 92103
619-291-4660

Data Format Warning: I do not have the latest version of Word or Excel or any
other dead-end program that uses *proprietary* file formats.  I speak English;
I do business in US dollars; I exchange data in ASCII.

All original material copyright Robert Schrader