Re: Re: [C-L] Diversity in Cohousing
From: Amy Cervantes (cervantaewashtenaw.org)
Date: Sat, 6 Jul 2002 17:57:00 -0600 (MDT)
Any particular cohousing will probably not be able to accomodate every single
need or desire a person may have.  This is not a lack of respect for economic
diversity, just a fact.  People interested in participating either need to find
a group that works with their interests and needs, or compromise some of those
interests and needs.

Sharon Villines wrote:

> > This thread is hilarious. But what does it have to do with real issues in
> > cohousing? And we have plenty of them! I would suggest that people relate
> > actual experiences in building a diverse cohousing community rather than
> > these very imaginative hypothetical cases.
>
> But they aren't hypothetical. People who want some of these things are
> turned away by groups all the time. And in some cases just not invited
> because their friends know that they would not be able to get what they need
> in cohousing as the groups are currently defining themselves.
>
> In Florida, the wife of a rock band star who traveled a lot was interested
> because her husband traveled so much but she couldn't get a commitment from
> the group to assure her he would have a music room available to him when he
> was home. One was planned but .... no promises. We were not a lot
> development model and all the units were too small for his professional
> needs.
>
> A man in Texas left a group because they changed from including an Olympic
> size pool and other amenities to building low cost housing.
>
> The workshare requirements are always of concern in new member orientations
> -- people just can't see that they have any more hours in the day to do
> anything more than they are doing presently. Single mothers, young lawyers,
> etc. are frequently working 60 hour weeks already.
>
> Sharon
> --
> Sharon Villines
> Takoma Village Cohousing, Washington DC
> http://www.takomavillage.org

begin:vcard
n:Cervantes;Amy M.
tel;fax:(734)481-2457
tel;work:(734)484-7200 ext. 4166
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
version:2.1
email;internet:cervanta [at] ewashtenaw.org
fn:Amy M. Cervantes
end:vcard