RE: RE: Retrofit Cohousing
From: Mike Baldwin (mlpbaldwinnetzero.net)
Date: Mon, 8 Jul 2002 14:41:01 -0600 (MDT)
Fred, et al, just to let you know. I am a community development director for
a small, nonprofit housing initiative in North Saint Louis.  We have been
renting with an option-to-buy tax credit financed, low to mod rental units
to a group known as the Dorothy Day Co-housing Community.  They are all
low-mod income and conveniently, the shelter from which they all came and at
which they now volunteer is nearby and serves as a "common house". The
apartments are rehabbed 100+ year old buildings and are on a "scattered
site" within walking distance of each other (two -three blocks). So far the
community is sticking together, though they formed only 1 and half years ago
and began their rent to own contract with us a little over a year ago.
There are some in the community who are feeling a need for their own house.
We are debating accommodating that need by building some new housing on the
same block.  My question(s): Is it considered cohousing when individuals own
their own house, or is cohousing more precisely what they have been
practicing the past year by sharing housing, common house, appliances,
automobiles etc.  In their case, I don't want to discourage the experiment
of shared housing by providing stand alone single family units for some
while others continue to share.  Am I off track. Does anyone with experience
in this have a phone number to talk more informally?  Thanks for your time.

Peace,
Mike Baldwin
Pruitt-Igoe Development Corp.
1829-A N. 18th Street