Income Discrepancy in Cohousers
From: Amy Cervantes (cervantaewashtenaw.org)
Date: Mon, 8 Jul 2002 18:55:02 -0600 (MDT)
The recent thread has me concerned, so I wanted to address is and get
some feedback.

I am part of a family of four (myself, husband and two kids.)  We are
right at the point of deciding whether or not to commit financially to a
cohousing development.  We feel that it would be a privilege to be part
of a unique community that values "community" in the true sense,
although this would vary somewhat amongst individuals.  I believe our
primary motivation is to raise our children in an atmosphere where the
values of others are most likely to resemble our own (or let's say, at
least not be in serious conflict) as well as for a type of diversity
that we think it may offer (albeit somewhat limited.)

I envisioned that as a MOSTLY stay at home mom, and having a husband
with a MOSTLY 40-50 hour work week, we would be able to contribute
significantly to the community through our volunteering (manpower vs.
money.) Not to say we wouldn't be willing or able to ante up the
occasional extra buck toward acheiving some mutually agreed upon goal;
but rather that since we may at times have more time than money and are
"skilled" in areas that may be a benefit to the community, that that
would be our value.

I just want to know if I am on target with this?  Is someone who might
have to weigh their financial commitments more carefully than others a
deficit to those in the community who do not?  I'm not trying to be
provocative, but the recent string of messages has given me pause.

~Amy who's planning to join Honey Creek Cohousing in Ann Arbor, MI

begin:vcard
n:Cervantes;Amy M.
tel;fax:(734)481-2457
tel;work:(734)484-7200 ext. 4166
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
version:2.1
email;internet:cervanta [at] ewashtenaw.org
fn:Amy M. Cervantes
end:vcard