Re: Workshare Credits
From: Amy Cervantes (cervantaewashtenaw.org)
Date: Mon, 8 Jul 2002 18:55:09 -0600 (MDT)
Would it be realistic to propose researching what the cost would be to hire out
certain services in your community and take that into consideration when making
these types of determinations?  For example, everyone might be surprised at how
little it would cost to have the common house professionally cleaned, and
equally
delighted to see how much money they are saving by doing their own
groundskeeping
(just an example, maybe not the best one.) This might also provide some guidance
regarding what it would cost for someone to "buy out" of doing certain chores.
believe as long as individuals with the means are making a provision for getting
the work done, they should be allowed to do so.  As the recent thread would
indicate, there are all kinds of 'ifs' 'ands' and 'buts' around that, and the
role that contributing plays in "community togetherness" BUT that aside,
practical matters still must be dealt with by practical means, no?

Jock Coats wrote:

> Sharon Villines wrote:
>
> >In our community it is accepted that all work for the community -- work that
> >would normally be hired out by a condo association plus meals, facilitating
> >meetings, security checks, sump pump watch, etc. -- are community chores
> >including the white collar tasks like budgeting and servicing our computers
> >and internet routers. One hour equals one hour.
> >
> >But we don't keep track of who does what and how much.
> >
> Why not do it as Time Dollars or whatever you call it over there?  That
> way you can account for things that people do for each other as well as
> for the 'community'.  The more people realise the social (and eventually
> financial) value of even little neighbourly tasks perhaps the higher
> priority that will become in terms of their other 'work-life' balance
> issues and you can credit single mum with some time against the
> community tasks because she's picked up busy working mum's kids from
> school and looked after them for a couple of hours.
>
> Jock
>
> --
> +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
> +  Jock Coats, Oxford Liberal Democrats, M3a Morrell Hall, OX3 0TU  +
> +       T:+44 1865 485019 M:+44 7769 695767 F:+44 845 1275714       +
> +   E(pref):jock.coats [at] oxfordlibdems.org.uk Cix:jockox3 [at] cix.co.uk
> +
> +     W1:www.oxfordlibdems.org.uk W2:aldco.oxfordlibdems.org.uk     +
begin:vcard
n:Cervantes;Amy M.
tel;fax:(734)481-2457
tel;work:(734)484-7200 ext. 4166
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
version:2.1
email;internet:cervanta [at] ewashtenaw.org
fn:Amy M. Cervantes
end:vcard