Re: Income Discrepancy in Cohousers
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Mon, 8 Jul 2002 19:36:01 -0600 (MDT)
> From: Amy Cervantes <cervanta [at] ewashtenaw.org>
> Subject: [C-L]_Income Discrepancy in Cohousers
>
> I envisioned that as a MOSTLY stay at home mom, and having a husband
> with a MOSTLY 40-50 hour work week, we would be able to contribute
> significantly to the community through our volunteering (manpower vs.
> money.) Not to say we wouldn't be willing or able to ante up the
> occasional extra buck toward acheiving some mutually agreed upon goal;
> but rather that since we may at times have more time than money and are
> "skilled" in areas that may be a benefit to the community, that that
> would be our value.
>
> I just want to know if I am on target with this?

You are quite probably on target but do be clear with your community what
their expectations are. Our condo fees as guesstimated by the developer were
seriously under. In a lot development model, this is less of an issue. We
are a condo so everyone pays for everything. BUT we also have very low
income people and we are able to work things out.

I imagine that things are like that in all cohousing communities.

The recent thread was more directed to allowing those who have more money
than time to give to money since money is also a valuable commodity and work
is not the only way to create community or to participate in a community.

Sharon Villines
Takoma Village Cohousing, Washington DC
http://www.takomavillage.org