Learning from Hard Decisions
From: Joani Blank (joaniswansway.com)
Date: Tue, 9 Jul 2002 18:57:03 -0600 (MDT)
HAVEN'T HEARD FROM ANYONE YET IN RESPONSE TO THE MESSAGE BELOW. IT WOULD BE GOOD IF YOU'D LET ME KNOW THAT YOU INTEND RESPOND. MY ASSISTANT POINTS OUT THAT NO ONE WANTS TO THINK ABOUT THIS HARD STUFF, BUT I'M SURE THERE ARE A FEW BRAVE SOULS OUT THERE WHO WILL.

JOANI

Hello cohousing friends,

Virtually every cohousing group has to struggle with a really tough decision from time to time. I'm putting together an article for the upcoming issue of Cohousing about some of those decisions. Here are some of the things I hope to learn from your stories:

1) what the issue was,
2) why the proponents of each position felt they were "right" or felt that the position they were supporting was best for the community, 3) what you (as one participant and observer) feel was really behind the various positions, and most importantly, 4) how did you work through your differences to a decision that everyone could consent to.

Finally, I'd like to know what you feel your group has learned from your experience which will make future decisions a little (or a lot) less difficult.

I'd like it if you would float brief responses here on cohousing-l which may encourage others to offer their own stories. If you prefer, you may write directly to me (joani [at] swansway.com). And if you would rather not give details by email, please send me your phone number (or call me at 510-834-7399) and I can interview you. If you are the only or one of just few people in your community who receives cohousing-l, and you think someone else in your community might be in a better position to respond to this query, please pass it along to him or her, and invite him/her to get in touch with me.

This is a good opportunity to help other groups as well as a chance to learn more about yourselves, and I thank in advance those who are able and willing to take the time to contribute to this effort.

Joani Blank
Swan's Market Cohousing
Oakland, CA