Re: Re: [C-L] Diversity in Cohousing
From: Chris ScottHanson (chriscohousingresources.com)
Date: Fri, 12 Jul 2002 09:08:01 -0600 (MDT)
on 6/28/02 6:37 PM, Grace Horowitz at grace [at] takomavillage.org wrote:

> This thread is hilarious. But what does it have to do with real issues in
> cohousing? And we have plenty of them! I would suggest that people relate
> actual experiences in building a diverse cohousing community rather than
> these very imaginative hypothetical cases. Then we might have a very
> interesting and relevant discussion and might not even have that much
> argument.

We had a problem, we found, when a person came to one of our intro meetings,
listened to the goings on and the talk about making everything affordable,
and left feeling excluded. She had money and she felt that she wasn¹t being
welcomed. She said nothing at the time, and simply listened to what was
being said at our intro meeting.

We accidentally learned of this several months later and talked to her at
length about the experience for her.  She would have been a valuable
participant in our community, in many ways.

Ironically, she could have helped make the entire community more affordable
by having/allowing us create a larger, more expensive home for her within
our diverse community which has the effect of reducing the prices on the
other homes in the community. Now we are looking for some folks to buy some
of the larger units as this will make the economics more desirable for the
whole community, especially in our effort to provide the subsidies necessary
to create the mandated 10% affordable housing units. (Municipal mandate.)

CPSH