Diversity and affordability
From: Fred H Olson (fholsoncohousing.org)
Date: Fri, 12 Jul 2002 15:11:01 -0600 (MDT)
Craig Mosher in Berkeley   CraigMosher1 [at] aol.com
is the author of the message below.
   http://csf.colorado.edu/cohousing/2001/msg01672.html

I've been gone a couple of weeks and just read the discussion on diversity
and affordability. Sounds like a typical community meeting. Some really good
thinking; some arguments. All grist for the mill. I am still interested in my
original question, if anyone knows:

How can I contact or get info on cohousing projects that have actually
included subsidized units (using government or private money to cover
subsidies) for low income people? Paul Fenn and Kay Argyle responded to this
and I'll be in touch. Are there others?

I'm also interested in other methods of allowing people of differing
financial means, and differing amounts of time available for community work,
to contribute according to their ability; recognizing some of the
difficulties in defining ability that were raised so well.

I'll be very interested to hear responses to Bruce's question about groups
that have used the limited equity cooperative structure (or others) to cap
the appreciation in market value that makes lower cost units unaffordable as
market prices rise over time. Keeping affordable units affordable over time
is tough, as Joani has reported at Swans Market in Oakland.

Re: the decision-making discussion - At Project ONE (an early
cohousing/intentional community project in an 84,000 sq.ft. warehouse
building in San Francisco in the 1970s) - we sometimes made decisions by the
method we called, "Them that does the doing, does the deciding how." So if a
hallway needed painting, the folks who showed up at the scheduled time for
doing it (which was set at community meeting and known to all) got to pick
the color scheme. There were several obvious problems with this, of course,
but it led to some creative (in the eye of the beholder) work and fewer
arguments, fewer long meetings, etc. Just another in the many variations on
decision-making.
Craig Mosher in Berkeley