Vitriolic Posts
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Sat, 13 Jul 2002 07:42:01 -0600 (MDT)
I want to apologize if I have contributed to any vitriolic posts on the list
recently. It was absolutely not my intention to be vitriolic. I was trying
to (1) focus the discussion on the subject of diversity in cohousing related
to the exclusion of those who were too committed elsewhere to produce 15
hours a month of community work and (2) to question the premise that
community work was either essential to cohousing or to the building of
community.

I felt that responses to this subject were skewing my statements and missing
the point. By missing the point, they were diverting the discussion while
pretending to be discussing it. In logical argument, there is a name for
this kind of but I forget what it is -- does anyone know?

I felt my statements were quoted as evidence in completely different
arguments. "Argument" in this is sense means presenting different views
about ONE subject under discussion. Presenting "arguments" is like
presenting facts or positions. It is not "fighting" or being "belligerent."

I objected to my quotes being used in posts on entirely different subjects,
which is why I kept insisting on bringing them back to the context in which
they were made.

I was not suggesting that this was the only subject that could be discussed
on the list and that I was the arbiter of what people could say or couldn't
say. I was only objecting to having my statements being used to support
arguments they were completely unrelated to.

This often upsets people but that was not my intention.

Sharon Villines
Takoma Village Cohousing, Washington DC
http://www.takomavillage.org