Re: Cohousing as retirement community?
From: Lynn Nadeau (welcomeolympus.net)
Date: Sun, 14 Jul 2002 23:26:01 -0600 (MDT)
I suppose it could work, though adjustments would have to be made in
terms of participation. Certainly among the numerous retirement
communities that exist, there must be some which have a higher degree of
cooperative interaction than others.

But I try to imagine our community, with only our oldest members, and
wonder what happens when the group collectively becomes less physically
able and less mentally able, perhaps, in some cases. Of course people can
be vital and sharp at 60-70-80-90 but the odds change.

One benefit of age diversity is that people over time have a chance to be
the Young, then the Middle, then the Elders. And each group can benefit
from the support of the others. The elders can share their wisdom or
their parenting skills etc and the  young can haul the heavy stuff.

At 57, I was grateful this week when my 35 yr old neighbors loaded a
bunch of heavy junk for me into their truck to take it to the dump, and
another neighbor in his 40s hauled away the giant thorny blackberry canes
I'd hacked out of my thicket.

Lynn Nadeau, RoseWind Cohousing
http://www.rosewind.org
http://www.ptguide.com