Re: Consensus & Majority Voting
From: don i arkin (shardon5juno.com)
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2002 15:37:03 -0600 (MDT)
Rob writes that:

>In a healthy consensus process, I have watched functional groups....make
5-6
>consensus decisions in one 3 hour meeting [because] They understand
consensus, all the members are trained in it as a requirement to
participate, they have outstanding facilitation, and communication is a
priority.

but on the other hand, he finds that:
>Most cohousing groups don't have a process for dealing with process
>problems, few ever intervene with inapproiate or damaging behaviors of
>individuals, and seldom do groups formally train themselves in  good
process
>and expect all new members to take the same training. So in most
cohousing
>groups, consensus really means cave into the dominant personalities
demands
>or spend weeks going around and around.

Robert responds:

Why is this the case?  Although I really favor the idea of consensus with
no
voting backup, I'd certainly rather vote than be in a group like the one
Rob
describes above.  Is it really true that most groups never go through
formal
training?   >>>>>>
If cohousing groups are really failing (or flailing) at consensus the way
Rob
describes above, then it would seem to be one of the more pressing
problems
facing cohousing.
************
        Robert, I fear that you have hit the nail on the head!  Even
though Sonora has had 2 full weekend trainings with Laird, and a half day
with Rob S., we are still most decidedly flailing and failing at
consensus.  Many of us don't want to put a heck of a lot more time into
training. How much is enough?  I fear that the difference between a truly
"intentional" community and cohousing may come into play here.  In
cohousing, many people just want to be good neighbors, not the deeper
level of personal committment & all that some people seem to feel is
essential to consensus.  Yes, cohousing does need to face this pressing
problem honestly.
        Sharon, from Sonora