Re: Re: Private vs Community Issues (Abuse, Alcoholism, etc.)
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Mon, 5 Aug 2002 14:36:29 -0600 (MDT)
on 8/5/2002 2:28 PM, Becky Schaller at bschaller [at] theriver.com wrote:

> Our community is now in the process of also trying to get some ideas
> about how to respond when serious issues such as alcoholism or abuse might
> come up in the community.

Dealing with hypothetical situations will consume infinite numbers of hours.
Each situation is different and can't be anticipated. What is important is
to understand each others' values and tolerances to the extent that each
understands them at this point. No matter how much time you spend, you will
not be able to anticipate any or all of the situations that will arise. And
all of you will discover tolerances and intolerances you didn't know you
had. And these will also change. You can't tie down the future.

Having said that, hypotheticals are different from situations you can see
coming. Person A has already told you she is worried that commonhouse meals
will not include vegetarian options because she is the only vegetarian in
the group. Even though you don't have a commonhouse yet, much less meals,
this situation is affecting a current member and the group could profit from
discussing the issue.

If you don¹t have any alcoholics, the discussion will only go in "what if"
circles, forever. Perpetual motion is defined as "What If...."

Sharon Villines
Takoma Village Cohousing, Washington DC
http://www.takomavillage.org