Re: Stories from your Community
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2002 10:28:01 -0600 (MDT)
on 8/16/2002 11:26 AM, Mary Kraus at mkraus [at] krausfitch.com wrote:

> 1. A clothing exchange area (an area to leave clothes or other items you
> don't want, and to pick up same).

We have a swap table where we leave all sorts of items. It includes an
active circulation of paperback mysteries. They appear and reappear a few
months later until they fall apart.

After Christmas lots of things appear that are obviously white elephant
gifts and brand new.

Things I've picked up are:

Wind chimes -- new.
Set of large baskets that fit inside one another -- later found to have been
thrown out by a wife who finally refused to have them in her house because
they had been given to her husband by a former lover.
Two new drawer organizers that I now use to organize my paint jars.
Several small vases
Stone coasters from Indiana
Small wooden boxes of various sizes -- I use to sort art supplies
New items like glue tips, picture hangers, frames, battery testers.
Lots of pure silk blouses, ties, for an eventual silk quilt.
Pure linen & pure cotton to remade into clothing

Things I've put there -- paperback books, cassette tapes, ice cube trays,
scarves, T-shirts that are too small for me, new wool socks I've finally
given up on every wearing, extra can openers, extra sheets, extra blankets,
new shoes never worn, -- Mostly stuff that is new but I've been moving
around with me and never used. Too good to throw out but not really needed.

Most of what I pick up is new. Clothes are just old styles which doesn't
mean anything to me as long as the material is good. I cut them up and
remake them.

> 2. Any interesting sharing of items, such as several households buying a
> camper or boat together.

What I've started doing is buying items for the commonhouse or common use
that I want and find on sale. Then I charge for the first uses until I'm
paid back. I just bought a rock polisher I found on sale for $50. I put out
an email that the first 10 times people use it, they need to pay me $5. Then
it belongs to the workshop crafts corner. This is much faster than asking if
anyone wants something and then collecting the money. I take a risk of
paying for the item myself but if I really want it it is worth the risk --
and if I wait, the sale item will be gone.

One of our members lost a baby (one of twins at 7 days old) in January. She
set up a memorial fund to benefit our playground. We just purchased a
basketball hoop and will be redoing the younger kids playground in the
spring. spring.

> 3. Special bulk buying arrangements.

When we moved in one member negotiated a discount on blinds. He shopped for
the best prices and service then negotiated the deal. We all ordered
individually and also let the installers in to units when people were at
work. We all got blinds within about 2 weeks.

We tried ordering food in bulk but members felt it was in competition with
the local food coop so it wasn't repeated.

Several members did participate in a CSA but it was not a well organized one
and too hard to pick up and distribute the food.

In the fall I will be organizing a group purchase of wrapping paper and
ribbon plus jewelry boxes, packing paper, etc. from a wholesale catalog.
Some will order for gifts but we have several crafts people who will order
more for their small businesses.

On Fridays I order pizza and charge $2 a slice (1/8 of an extra large with
several toppings) in the commonhouse. I also purchase soda & juice. It has
worked out very well and has become a staple. August means 3-4 pizzas,
winter months are up to 8. Pizza is delivered. I order and handle all the
financing which means I pay for left over pizza (and end up eating it so I
only order toppings I will eat). We do vegan, vegetarian, and meat lovers.

We actually do a lot of shared buying. People put out a notice on email and
organize those who are interested.

> Movie night at the common house.

We try these and recently got cable tv in the commonhouse but for some
reason these have not taken off. Perhaps our facilities are not good for
comfortable viewing. We limit them to the living room and it is small. If we
could view in the dining room it would be better -- more space and room for
children to play to the side.

> Centralized recycling facilities.

We are a condo so we have bins for trash, newspaper and cardboard, and mixed
glass, plastic, and tin. As well as a junk mail recycling bin under the mail
boxes.

We also have bike storage but need much more. A continuing discussion -- to
build another structure on a small plot or not.

Sharon Villines
Takoma Village Cohousing, Washington DC
http://www.takomavillage.org