Re: Racial diversity and cohousing
From: Diane Simpson (cohotheworld.com)
Date: Sat, 12 Oct 2002 21:33:06 -0600 (MDT)
We have done tabling at festivals where we know there is going to be a
diverse crowd--such as the Jamaica Plain World's Fair, Central Square
World's Fair,  and the Wake Up the Earth festival. We take snapshots of our
group reaching out to a diverse audience and put them up on our web site on
the "News and events" page. That  way people of color know we are making a
serious effort to go beyond attracting only other white people. We have
also done presentations in libraries where there's a large non white
population. Our next plan is to try to get on the television show "Basic
Black" in Boston. I have already been told they have all their programs
lined up for the year, but I am not giving up. There may be a chance we
could get into a show they are doing on housing. When we did the pledge
drive on WGBH we had one of our black members do the on-air interview. We
are also working on doing a presentation at a church where we know they
have a diverse congregation. We are planning ot do some PSA's and try to
get a local black radio station (WILD) to air them. We also sent away for a
directory of minority business associations called "Kaleidescope" that is
published by Collette Phillips, a local PR firm. (Collette Phllips
Communications, 661 Highland Avenue, Needham, MA 02494-2207) The directory
is $20.00. We are hoping to do presentations for some of these groups.

--Diane Simpson
    Jamaica Plain Cohousing in Boston

P.S. We have picked a site that is in an area that is 1/3 white, 1/3 black,
1/3 hispanic. That might help too.

>In looking around many of the web sites, it seems that most cohousing
>communities are overwhelmingly white.  I  posted my original question to
>try to get folks to respond to what attempts they have made to make
>their communities more diverse.

               "The people around you define the quality of your life."
                   Ask me about Cohousing!   http://jpcohousing.org
 82 GREEN ST. BOSTON, MA; 1 BLOCK FROM GREEN ST. STATION (TOWARD CENTRE)