Re: guns and cigarettes & Diversity
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Fri, 25 Oct 2002 14:05:05 -0600 (MDT)
I wanted to relate the discussion about guns, cigarettes, and other non-PC
personal habits to the issue of diversity that Rob mentioned in relation to
meals. He pointed out that over time communities become more homogeneous
because new families are either attracting to the style of meals and
meetings or not. Only "like" families join established communities.

A stronger force in diluting diversity is that residents grow more like each
other. As time goes by we influence each other's living habits. We adjust to
what is working.

People who were afraid of guns become less afraid and those with guns learn
to live without them.

The smokers stop smoking and non-smokers get more comfortable accepting
occasional smoking.

Many, many issues just resolve themselves when everyone on both sides of the
issue are just open about how they feel and listen to the other person's
point of view. Adjustments get made invisibly.

The basic understanding is that if something bothers someone, everyone is
committed to working it out one way or another. That understanding alone is
enough for most people. As long as they know they will be supported when
they raise objections, they don't need to object unless it is really a
problem.

Sharon Villines
Takoma Village Cohousing, Washington DC
http://www.takomavillage.org