Committee Membership
From: Becky Schaller (bschallertheriver.com)
Date: Sat, 26 Oct 2002 11:32:02 -0600 (MDT)
In our community, we have been experiencing a fair amount of committee
burnout and I'd like to see us work on this.  One question I have is, How do
you determine what constitutes membership on a committee?   Do people
formally sign up to serve on a particular committeee or committees?   If
someone who is not on a particular committee wants to attend, are they
allowed to actively participate as much as any  member of the committee?  Or
are they asked to be a silent observer?  Or are they asked to observe some
in-between role?   We usually strive to have open meetings here.   But
sometimes attendance at committees gets to be so erratic that it's hard to
have continuity.  I think this is one factor that has contributed to
burnout.  I'm wondering how other communities have defined or looked at the
question of committee membership.

Becky Schaller
Sonora Cohousing
Tucson, Arizona