Re: guns and cigarettes
From: Ann Zabaldo (zabaldoearthlink.net)
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2002 05:52:01 -0700 (MST)
The answer about banning weapons in any county, city, village, state or
community in the US is not an easy one.

The "right to bear arms" is a 4th Amendment right guaranteed under the
Constitution. (There's great debate about what the Founders really meant by
this.)   Washington DC actually passed a law banning handguns.  Now, I can't
remember whether this was overturned by Congress which has oversight of DC
or whether the outcome the law was supposed to produce just died on its own
because, of course, guns stream in from Maryland and Virginia and the
enforcement of the law died along w/ it.

You could write whatever you want in your community's constitution, by laws,
etc. (although how you get past the money lenders is a question as they
won't want to see anything that might limit the return on their investment.)

The problem you face is being sued by an individual or a group.  Which may
not likely happen right now because cohousing is such a small blip on the
housing radar.  But it could happen.

I've been very interested in reading this thread because it seems to me as
if everyone who has posted, regardless of their position, is "right."  This
issue touches a central core values question that is not easy to answer --
what I'm most appreciative of is people's willingness to struggle w/ it.

Ann Zabaldo

Takoma Village Cohousing
Washington, DC. -- America's
Hometown!