Who sets the agenda for the General Meeting?
From: Becky Schaller (bschallertheriver.com)
Date: Tue, 5 Nov 2002 18:31:23 -0700 (MST)
I have a question about the practical aspects of who should set the agenda
for a general meeting.  We have a Faciliation Team and one of the tasks of
this group is to facilitate the agenda.   At the beginning of this meeting,
one person from both Process Committee and Overview Committee comes to
represent these committees for setting the agenda.   Planning the meeting
after the agenda is set and facilitating are done by the Facilitation Team.
Usually, the two representatives from these two committees leave after the
agenda is determined.

We've been told it would be better if we had a group separate from the
faciliation team set the agenda.  That way if someone has a problem with the
actual agenda, they won't start off the meeting having a problem with the
facilitator.

We've been having some difficulty figuring out practically how to do this.
First there is the concern that no one else seems to be jumping at this
opportunity to set the agenda.  Second, it does seem like the facilitator
should have a large say in setting the agenda so that they end up
facilitating an agenda they are comfortable with.  Third,  there is the
timing problem. First you have to have an agenda setting meeting.  After
that and before the general meeting, you have to have a facilation meeting
to help the facilitator plan each item.

So I'm wondering how  other communities set the agenda and suppport the
faciliator in planning the meeting.  If you're willing to let us know, I'd
appreciate it.

Thanks,
Becky Schaller
Sonora Cohousing