RE: San Diego/Southern California CoHousing
From: Casey Morrigan (cjmorrpacbell.net)
Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2002 06:40:01 -0700 (MST)
Of course, for those of us who live "up here" slightly north of the Golden
Gate, Tierra Nueva is almost southern California, a description to which
they may strenuously object (!!).  I have a guess that isn't what you mean.
I haven't heard of much more southerly than that.  I know I shall be
corrected soon if my info isn't up to date.

I was following the thread of "why aren't there more [cohousing
developments] in Southern Cal" and wanted to add an opinion to the pot.  I
wonder if it is that land values are higher in the south than in the north,
making it difficult to get hold of a chunk of undeveloped land.  So much is
already developed.  It is true, the generalization that the North is more
progressive politically than the South, but on the other hand, some of our
staunchest political progressives come from the South.  And there are just
so many more people there (than in the north)  - there must be lots of
progressive folks in the south who might find cohousing amenable.  They
might be a smaller proportion of the So Cal population but that doesn't mean
they are fewer, or fewer than the Nor Cal.

Casey Morrigan
Sebastopol, [Northern] California