Development Financial Structure
From: Casey Morrigan (cjmorrpacbell.net)
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2002 08:59:08 -0700 (MST)
We joined a cohousing group right at the time we needed to put in money.  So
we did not spend more than a year and a half in meetings before it got
built.  I am SO grateful for that.

I didn't know there was a trend in getting money up front.  Can someone tell
me more about the nature of the trend?  I think it's a great idea, if it's
happening.  There are all kinds of ways for cohousing to get built - why not
try something different.

The years-long planning has some big drawbacks.  I do think getting
cohousing built quickly is important -for me, that is.  If you have a long
planning process with no financial commitments, then perhaps your group
selects for people who can tolerate long planning processes with no
financial commitment. Asking for money up front might not discourage
community building - maybe it encourages community building by those willing
to put money up front.  We all lend both our time and our money long term to
cohousing.  The only question is, for how long and for what payback.

Here is a slightly different topic.  Linked with our own group's long
planning process was a meeting culture that allowed us to have long (day
long, sometimes) meetings.  It was a separate but I believe related
phenomenon.  While this had some up side for some, all were exhausted and
couldn't go on with it.  The group made an effort to change and it did. This
occurred very soon after we joined the group.  I watched the group very
closely through the process as well as participating in the change.  It was
clear that I was witnessing a major group decision.  My own decision to stay
with the group hinged on how seriously the group took its commitment to
change how it conducted meetings.  Because I knew I could not realistically
participate in a group that allowed 7-hour business meetings.  And I knew
that any group that could be so open to change and work to create it, would
be a group that I could be in.

Casey Morrigan
Two Acre Wood, Sebastopol, California