Re: Don't discuss this in committees
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2002 13:53:01 -0700 (MST)
On 11/21/02 2:05 PM, "Becky Schaller" <bschaller [at] theriver.com> wrote:

> As we continue to process the experience as a community, I'd like for us to
> have some kind of guidelines as to how to respond in the future if someone
> asks the community not to discuss a particular topic.

I'm not sure that is even a legitimate request. Of course you want people to
be caring and concerned but what right does anyone have to ask that I not
discuss a topic in private. They could request that I not discuss it with
their children or with the press or another person involved in a dispute.
But to request this is in effect telling people what they can talk about and
what they can't.

If the issue affects common property or common practices, it would have to
be discussed.

But I must also say that it perplexes me no end when people think not
talking about things will help anything.

Sharon Villines
Takoma Village Cohousing, Washington DC
http://www.takomavillage.org