RE: Do cohousers care about "bricks and sticks"?
From: Rob Sandelin (floriferousmsn.com)
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2002 16:10:06 -0700 (MST)
I can show you a condo in Bellevue WA that has a brilliant cohousing design,
pedestrian core, play area, nice community center that is central and easy
to look into from almost every unit. It even has a nice kitchen, although
not industrial grade.  It has very little community. The neighbors are
pretty much still strangers, some after 5 years. It is nothing like a
cohousing community in terms of relationships. I asked my guide there if she
felt comfortable asking to borrow a car. She looked at me like I was from
Mars. There is nothing there but the typical condo.

 So sorry, I do not believe in bricks and sticks having much to do with
community. Its not the architecture, its the people and their desires and
intentions that make cohousing what it is, a community by intention.  There
are hundreds of Intentional communities that are not cohousing,that have
good relationships and totally isolating architecture. If architecture
really was the key why do those places work? Because it is the intentions of
the people do have those relationships. Take away that intention for
relationship from cohousing, and all you have left is a condo. In fact, at
least one cohousing group, common ground in Aspen, lost its intention and
became just another condo. There are a couple other cohousing groups which
have large percentage of the people who live there not involved, apparently
uninterested in community. They just want a  safe, cheap place to live. It
will interesting to see if those cohousing groups also don't just end up as
condos.

Rob Sandelin