Re: Communal eating question from new UK group
From: S. Kashdan (skashdanscn.org)
Date: Sat, 23 Nov 2002 00:30:06 -0700 (MST)
Here at Jackson Place Cohousing the cooks are quite good about preparing
foods for people with special needs, even though we often have 50 people
eating a meal. But, there are still some problems, because some people want
desserts with sweets, while others do not, especially not for their
children. So, some cooks accommodate and others do not. And, some people use
more oil when cooking than others, which disagrees with some of our
digestive systems. and, I know at least two people who don't attend most
meals because of needing to lose weight. But, generally the meals are quite
good, and the cooks and cleaners work very hard to make them fit the needs
of everyone who expresses an interest in coming.

There are also tensions because most of the children are very excited by the
presence of so many people, all shouting, and especially the other children.
Most of our 12 children are under 7. They tend to want to shout too, and to
run around, and to carry their food with them if they are not stopped fairly
firmly. But, some of the adults (both some with and some without children of
their own) want the children to learn to be quieter and sit still longer in
the common house dining room. This involves different ideas of how to define
rules for children and how to influence them. And it also involves parents'
feelings being hurt because they experience the complaints as being
criticized for their way of parenting. So, this has caused some tensions
that we are currently trying to resolve.

The problems of making meals that suit members' needs and the problem of how
to handle children's issues related to common meals are both more difficult
to deal with than the problem of soundproofing, although they probably
require less money.

Sylvie Kashdan
Jackson Place Cohousing
800 Hiawatha Place South