noise/quiet at dinners
From: Lynn Nadeau (welcomeolympus.net)
Date: Sun, 24 Nov 2002 16:05:02 -0700 (MST)
Here at RoseWind, we haven't yet run into a noise problem at dinners.
Probably a combination of our acoustics (we did a fair amount of acoustic
treatment when building) and the fact that we are more likely to have 6
young children at a meal than 26. But as I read about groups where people
are declining to attend common-house suppers because it's too noisy, I
wonder if anyone has tried having either a "quiet" sitting, earlier or
later, or perhaps with a table or two in a space apart from the main
dining room, or a quiet meal on certain evenings? The simple fact of lots
of people in a room needn't mean a lot of noise: think Trappist monks?!

Sure, a few people might say "whatsa matter, you don't like kids?/ you
don't like talk?" but overall it would be better to have a quiet seating
than to have people not eat together, I'd think.

Zen supper on Tuesdays? Anyone tried some such approach?

Lynn

Lynn Nadeau, RoseWind Cohousing
http://www.rosewind.org
http://www.ptguide.com