Re: Marmoleum vs. Hardwood
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2002 11:46:01 -0700 (MST)
On 11/25/02 9:56 AM, "Lydia & Ray Ducharme" <lydiaray [at] telus.net> wrote:

> We're thinking of putting hardwood down in our common dining room.

We have properly harvested hardwood floors. Definitely take a lot of care.
Ours get cleaned every two weeks and after less than two years could (in my
opinion) use refinishing. Not a heavy refinishing but the surface finish was
too thin so even when it is cleaned, it doesn't always look clean. You could
solve this by putting a few extra coats of sealer on it before you use it.

We also have cork floors along the walk paths which is nice to walk on and
has held up well there. I don¹t know how it would do with chair legs digging
into it or tables being scrapped across it.

Noise is definitely a problem. I met with a general contractor about
acoustics treatments (we have none) and the first thing he said was that
putting down rugs would be the easiest and cheapest. You may want to
consider that -- it takes more cleaning but they do a great job with sound
and are comfortable to walk on.

Then there are the people who want to have dances so you are back to wood.
But a well cared for wood floor can last forever and is a beauty to behold.

Sharon Villines
Takoma Village Cohousing, Washington DC
http://www.takomavillage.org