marmoleum and hard wood
From: Lynn Nadeau (welcomeolympus.net)
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2002 14:47:04 -0700 (MST)
RoseWind Cohousing, Port Townsend Washington.

"Smart Wood" eco-certified oak flooring in our 30x30 dining room/meeting
room; Marmoleum in kitchen and kid room. Stone tile in entry halls and
bathrooms. I also have Marmoleum in my kitchen and bathrooms at home: I
love it. Very durable and its needs minimal maintenance.

It comes in somewhat strange colors. We have a sort of brick red in the
kitchen, a sunflower gold in kid room. The cost of the Marmoleum was a
bit deceptive: it didn't include installation, which had to be done by
the only Marmoleum-certified installer in the region and his time
(including driving time) was expensive.

We finished our wood flooring with Osco Hard Wax Oil finish, a pricey
German eco-product, claimed as very un-toxic etc. We also used this as a
very satisfactory finish on our wooden doors and woodwork. But on the
flooring, we don't know how to maintain it, beyond vac and damp mop. Osco
makes a maintenance product, but it's very expensive. I need to find out
whether some less exotic product would serve, to keep up the finish.

Our biggest floor challenge started out as a good idea. We floored our
15x30 rec room with floor boards rescued from a demolition site. They
were scrubbed with a bleach solution before installation, since they had
a lot of moldy crud in the grooves. And the multi-colored Harlequin
effect of the variously-painted boards is sort of fun. But the mold in
the air in that room is such that several of us with respiratory
sensitivities can't use the room at all (and it's where the VCR is, not
just the ping pong table). We need to try sanding and resealing it all-
big nuisance, especially now that everyone feels the common house is
"done" and isn't up for working on it much more.

Lynn Nadeau, RoseWind Cohousing
http://www.rosewind.org
http://www.ptguide.com