RE: Re:Radiant floor Heat
From: Casey Morrigan (cjmorrpacbell.net)
Date: Mon, 2 Dec 2002 20:38:07 -0700 (MST)
I have found this (dust circulation) to be true with our radiant heated
floors. I'm allergic to dust and-- up it floats on the warm air!  And my
nose discovers it, no matter how gently it rises.  However, it is also true
that there isn't as much dust circulating as with forced air heat.

We have heating coils underneath concrete in our downstairs, and underneath
plywood covered by carpet on the second floor. They both work.  It's not
very efficient upstairs, but since we don't need as much heat up there, it's
o.k.  Our neighbor with hardwood on top of the concrete with radiant heat
says her home does heat up just fine.  We've never discussed the issue of
the wood drying or warping, nor have I observed that happening; on the other
hand, we've only been in our houses three years.

Zones (beyond upstairs and downstairs) would have been VERY nice.  Wish we'd
thought of it (perhaps I should amend that to, "wish our budget would have
allowed it").

The other thing that surprised me about our radiant heat is that there is
some noise involved - not as much or as obstrusive as forced air, but the
boiler is next to the livingroom wall and we do hear the sound of the boiler
going and the water circulating.  In the quiet of the morning we can hear it
starting up.

Casey Morrigan
Two Acre Wood
Sebastopol, California