flying mango trees
From: Gotogenes (Gotogenesaol.com)
Date: Sat, 7 Dec 2002 14:55:02 -0700 (MST)
snipped from the dec 01 archive:

<If you advertised co housing development looking at some of the hidden
expectations the ad might read something like this:
 Looking for liberal, upper middle-class homeowners, with many thousands of
dollars of liquid cash, who have a huge tolerance for meetings,and are
willing to give up much of the control over aspects of their life to a group.
Must be risk takers, and have a willingness to be highly social. A high
degree of patience and tolerance is desirable. To apply, you must place tens
of thousands of dollars in a risky real estate venture largely controlled by
amateurs with no experience.>

hi everyone, i joined this group today and skimmed through a few past and
ancient postings to get a feel for the group.
we (wife with two children, 9/12) bought, and read (ok, skimmed again)the
f.i.c. communities directory and have narrowed our focus towards a co housing
neighborhood. perhaps we had a different idea about simple living but the
word "frugal" kept cropping up a little too much for our liking. we were
somewhat disheartened by the thought of living in a straw bale hut in a
forest on top of a mountain.
so while we don't exactly see ourselves as "liberal, upper middle-class
homeowners" neither do we see ourselves as trailer park hippies.
in fact both of us, seemingly a lifetime ago, were members of a very strict
and unpopular international religious community. strangely enough, although
having a totally different mindset than then (no desire whatsoever to follow
any organized religion), we sometimes find ourselves envious of the kinship
we left behind. our conclusion is that what we most value in others is being
part of a diverse, friendly community.  and then there's the kids. that's a
really big issue for us as the thought of uprooting our children from their
school and friends is a difficult one.
* is there such a place in a pleasant climate or are we looking for shangri
la?
i would love to hear others' advice, opinions and experiences especially with
regard to the children moving dilemma.
thanx
marc