Re: Cohousing Network seeks Editor for Pubs, Website
From: Raines Cohen (rc2-coho-Lraines.com)
Date: Sat, 14 Dec 2002 18:51:00 -0700 (MST)
Dec 14, 2002:  Check out new URL at end of this (and every list message) for
Cohousing-L info page.  Seasons' Greetings.  FredOn 12/13/02 6:37 PM, Raines
Cohen < rc2... [at] raines.com> wrote:

>In the words of our inestimable Dennis Jay, TCN comm team leader and
>Annapolis coho member, "we pegged this job at 25 to 30 hours per month at
>a fee of $1,200/month."

Yes, I'm replying to myself (and to the list, plus a few others who I've
corresponded with on this topic). Because my esteemed colleague Mr. Jay
turns out to estimable after all. ;-)

Dennis just confirmed that he misspoke (mis-emailed?), and that 40-50
hours per month is a more realistic expectation of the commitment
involved in the job -- as the original document I posted indicated. The
moral of this story: Read the fine print!

The budget number he cited is currently correct, but, like all budgets,
it is subject to change based on revenue (hint: donate more and renew
those memberships today!) and organizational priorities (all those board
fact-finding excursions to investigate potential coho sites in Hawaii are
awfully important to the movement, don'cha think?), as well as individual
agreements reached with the selected vendor (like, we could pay more if
the services included backrubs for beleaguered boardmembers, or less if
the work product was delivered in cryptic handwriting on the back of
leftover pizza boxes from common meals [unless some really good pizza was
still stuck to the box]).

Raines

P.S. While we're having fun bashing Dennis, who gets all the blame
because he's generally the one who does most of the work around here on
the TCN board's communications team, I've also recently been informed
that, by copying and pasting from a Dennis-created Word document that
used the much-feared-by-list-administrators "smart quotes", the name of
TCN's Executive Director may have been unreadable by some in my initial
job and RFP posts.

So, for the record: His name is Roy O'Shaughnessy, and there are no %
symbols or dollar signs or funny hex characters in his name (although he
may be willing to change the S to a dollar sign for someone making a
large enough donation to TCN).

Raines Cohen <my initials,2,dash,coho,dash,L at my first name .com>

  Member, Swan's Market Coho [Oakland, CA] <http://www.swansway.com/>
Where a few minor leaks in the roof have been exposed by the weather.

  Facilitator, East Bay Cohousing [on hiatus] <http://www.ebcoho.org/>
Planning on organizing at the CoHo Co. slideshow in January.

  Boardmember, The Cohousing Network <http://www.cohousing.org/>
Your one-stop shop for Cohousing-logoed T-shirts and aprons - the perfect
holiday gift.