RE: Archive question
From: Greg Dunn (MyListsgregdunn.com)
Date: Mon, 23 Dec 2002 10:01:02 -0700 (MST)

The messages on "archives" , "yahoo", and "listservs" border on being
off-topic for Cohousing-L in the sense that I suspect most people are
not interested in them but clearly some are.  I hope we can get back to
discussing cohousing soon.
<<

(Trying to keep this brief...)

In my experience, problems related to differences of opinion about what
is and isn't on-topic in a given discussion group almost inevitably
arise on list servers - much more so than in the other available media.
It's probably the thing I like least about them.  These problems arise
because list servers are a "push" technology - they push email down to
your inbox, *and* they don't provide the option to be used in any other
way. If you want to participate, you must agree to have an uncontrolled
number of emails delivered to your inbox, where *you* must find a way to
manage them. Because of that, the amount of message traffic quickly
becomes a serious issue for most participants. [1]

So list servers, as a medium, create a conflict between the goal of
lively, active dialog - so important to community building - and the
goal of minimizing the overhead associated with participating in that
dialog.  In my opinion, there are alternatives that provide better
overall support to virtual community.

Greg Dunn

--------
[1] You can reduce the number by selecting digest mode, but that makes
partipating in the discussion very cumbersome, since it's impossible to
reply specifically to individual messages.