Re: Full Spectrum Lighting
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Fri, 27 Dec 2002 09:17:05 -0700 (MST)
On 12/27/2002 10:54 AM, "Maggie" <mdutton [at] shaw.ca> wrote:

> In Ft. McMurray, Alberta, we are so far north that even on a sunny day the
> sun is so low on the horizon that shadows are long and many of us feel at
> least some Seasonally Affective Disorder (SAD).  One of the things that help
> with the feelings associated with SADs is exposure to a full spectrum light
> for some part of the day.  Have any groups thought to have a room or area in
> the common house where folks could share the light?

I recently ordered one of the "officially" measured lights for SAD and found
that the light was not stronger than just turning on my lamps more often. I
tend not to turn on the lights unless I absolutely have to and then I wonder
why I can't see and hate cloudy days so much.

If you focus on including energy saving full spectrum lighting, which is
readily available now, it may be enough. I don't have SAD or at least not a
severe form but just turning on the lights early in the morning makes me
miss Florida a  lot less.

Sharon Villines
Takoma Village Cohousing, Washington DC
http://www.takomavillage.org