RE: Re: Automated underground (or elevated) parking
From: Casey Morrigan (cjmorrpacbell.net)
Date: Mon, 30 Dec 2002 14:26:01 -0700 (MST)
Although we are now a bit off the cohousing topic, I do want to say that
when my husband traveled to Tokyo last year he saw garages that had lift and
hoist machanisms that allowed more dense car storage, along the lines of
what people are describing.  He was given to understand that you cannot
purchase a car in Tokyo these days unless you can show that you have a
parking space and the money to pay for it in the coming year.

It is hard to live in the dilemma of wishing we didn't need cars, but
needing realistically to plan for their use.  It is an example of how ideals
collide with reality in designing cohousing.  So many of us have green
ideals but purity must give way to how we live today.  An underground
garage -- oh my gosh, think of the extra ground space we would have!!!  It
makes my heart leap to think of it.  But it would have been undo-able
financially for us. We couldn't even afford the garages we thought we'd
have - we have carports.  Not to complain.....we managed to build - we made
some good decisions - here we are, a community.

Casey Morrigan
Two Acre Wood
Sebastopol, California