Re: Breakdown of Process in Cohousing
From: Martie Weatherly (martiewearthlink.net)
Date: Wed, 1 Jan 2003 09:15:07 -0700 (MST)
It might be good to go back before square one and find out how many
people in your community want a community where one person's concern
becomes the groups concern, and how many want a regular neighborhood,
solving issues by anger and legal actions.

The one important requirement in living in community is the commitment
to work together as a community. If you don't have that, how can you
work on group process? It might be discouraging to find that, after over
two years, your group is not committed to community, but it is much
better to find that out now without putting more effort into community.

Whether you are a lightning rod for problems remains for you to decide.

However, you could be a lightning rod for community. You are the one
writing for help. You may be the one to say 'I am going to be part of a
community that works together, who wants to join me?"

You might end up with a small number of people operating as a community
inside a neighborhood.  Or you might find that everyone there wants
community and has been sure it won't work. It only takes one person to
change the world, in fact, that is all it ever takes (paraphrased from
Margaret Mead).

Good Luck.

Martie Weatherly
Liberty Village Cohousing