Re: Breakdown of Process in Cohousing
From: Juva DuBoise (juvadearthlink.net)
Date: Wed, 1 Jan 2003 09:38:07 -0700 (MST)
DocArtemis - No simple answer to your situation.  Some thoughts for what
they are worth   1) When the lightening rod moves out of any community -
another will be found...the unconscious wants to be conscious! 2) Being
someone who is often the lightening rod I have learned that the personal
work (growth as painful as it is) involved in staying conscious about what
is my reaction and what is the groups is tremendous.  Don't drop out, get
support!  If you can't find someone with in the community to help you
process this (so you don't react out of anger when trying to get clarity
from the community) get help outside.  A therapist, friend, anyone who can
listen with an objective ear and heart.    I don't mean to imply that this
is your personal problem...but group growth is a joint effort.  If you are
the lightening rod now...then it is your time to be clear..3) The group may
not be ready to deal head on with this...getting help for the group is a
really good idea but if you are asking and the answer is "no" from the board
of directors because it isn't their job....ok...it is the job of the
community though...do you have community meetings?  Annual or (more often)
meetings where all members attend?  This sounds (with my little knowledge of
your community and the specific dynamic's) like a group process....so it is
a group issue...not just a few.  Being a "board member" of a community with
these issues can't be easy...I can understand the hesitancy to take this on
with out the skills....heck they would become the lightening rod.
So the question to the group isn't...lets deal with this...that could  feel
unsafe!  How to address it is the question...how to discuss the feelings and
needs of the community as whole and the individuals involved?   Personally
and with in our community we have committed to using the Non-violent
communication process (spoken of before on this list...you can get more
infor at the web site...NonViolent Communication -I can't remember the
address but a search for this will come up with the page)....There are other
"professionals" available to help...I am sure you will get some other
suggestions...

Just don't give up.....support is available...be open to it!

Juva - CoHo in Corvallis Oregon - Forming -seeking land..