Re: Breakdown of Process in Cohousing
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Wed, 1 Jan 2003 12:10:01 -0700 (MST)
On 1/01/2003 10:00 AM, "Maggie" <mdutton [at] shaw.ca> wrote:

> Everyone thinks that if they can just
> deal with that particular person the "problems" will be resolved.  What was
> suggested and I have experienced is that as soon as the "lightning rod"
> person moves on....another one appears and the process begins again.

I once had a dentist who ran his office on the theory of the lightening rod.
Each staff member in office rotated being the lightening rod for a week at a
time. Anything that went wrong in that staff member's week was their fault.
The game diffused the whole phenomenon of blaming. And ensured that for any
problem to get fixed everyone had to deal with it, in turn or all at once.

Sharon Villines
Takoma Village Cohousing, Washington DC
http://www.takomavillage.org