Re: Car share club
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Thu, 2 Jan 2003 07:27:01 -0700 (MST)
On 1/02/2003 12:50 AM, "Raines Cohen" <rc2-coho-L [at] raines.com> wrote:

> From my experience, it'll be years 'til you get significant switchover:
> where's the incentive? Can you perhaps invite them to a dinner/meeting to
> pitch the concept to your neighbors/recruit? Do surveys about expected
> usage? Nothing beats personal contact for building connections/commitment.
>
> If you charged per parking space (especially for second cars), that would
> be the strongest incentive, but that's kinda hard to get approval on
> after the fact.

We don¹t have parking for second cars so that is part of the incentive. For
me the incentive is being able to use a car on a regular basis without
feeling obligated to help take car of it as well -- or get involved in
someone else's schedule to use the car.

We are very close to the Metro so most people can use public transportation
to get to work. It's the occasional other use, or night time use, for which
people could use a car.

The FlexCar now works on a computer system as well. Each member has a
card/key and the cars are programmed so when you have reserved a car, your
key will open it. No looking for keys or trying to figure out who used the
car last.

Sharon Villines
Takoma Village Cohousing, Washington DC
http://www.takomavillage.org