Re: Re: Car share club
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Thu, 2 Jan 2003 07:52:01 -0700 (MST)
On 1/02/2003 1:48 AM, "Marty Roberts" <MartyR [at] sonic.net> wrote:

>> They will still handle all the reservations, maintenance of
>> the car, etc., but they want a minimum usage guarantee. I'm not sure
>> we can
>> manage a commitment of 300 hours a month right away
>
> 300 hours per month?  for one car?  By my calculations, that is 10
> hours a day of driving.  How can that be possible?

I think, the only way is if some people use the car for a weekend trip. We
do have members who only use their cars on weekends or who take overnight
trips. Or people who need a car for one day a week for special work
assignments. One day of commuting to a second work location is 10 hours -- 8
of work and 2 of commuting. One person using the car during the day to run
errands (my particular need/desire) and another using it during the evening
to go to a party, easily fills the 10 hours for that day.

We have about 60 adult residents who could potentially need a car at some
point. We have 43 parking spots with cars in them and a couple of cars
parked on the street.

The issue as Raines points out is how long does it take for people to switch
over. Since we have been talking about this for 3 years it would take less
time than one might think (I hope).

Sharon Villines
Takoma Village Cohousing, Washington DC
http://www.takomavillage.org