Re: Single Parents in Cohousing
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Thu, 2 Jan 2003 09:18:01 -0700 (MST)
On 1/01/2003 10:56 AM, "Maggie" <mdutton [at] shaw.ca> wrote:

> As mentioned in closing my earlier posting, we are planning on developing an
> affordable cohousing project for single income parents and low income
> singles.

As the support person for a single parent, I advise balancing your community
with a good number of grandparent types who have the time and patience to
care for young children. What single parents need is help from other adults
who do not have children. Two single parents can join households or share
childcare but this adds complexity and is not always practical. A balance of
adults who are not currently housing children can be a great help.

Since cohousing is based on self selection, you will also have to develop
criteria for inclusion. This may be difficult and would be easier if a
foundation owned the housing and the families rented. Unless you plan to
build a succession of communities that start with households that fit your
criteria and evolve into something else,  what happens when a family no
longer fits your criteria?

Sharon Villines
Takoma Village Cohousing, Washington DC
http://www.takomavillage.org