Re: voting; other political involvement locally
From: Lynn Nadeau (welcomeolympus.net)
Date: Thu, 2 Jan 2003 13:44:01 -0700 (MST)
>Is engaged discussion among neighbors a factor that fortifies
>your decision to make the effort to vote?
>I'm curious because I believe people who feel like neighbors... are more
concerned and >
>involved in the process and health of
>community in general.
You may have a chicken-and-egg situation if you are hoping to show that
people who talk to each other about issues, etc, in cohousing are more
likely to vote and be involved in the larger communities (local,
national, international) of which they are part.

It seems as likely that it's the opposite. The people who feel empowered
and motivated to make changes in the world are also more likely to want
to actively participate in their neighborhood/relationship-network.

Lynn Nadeau
RoseWind Cohousing
Port Townsend WA
where we have a very high degree of involvement of RoseWind members in
community organizing- from those in elected office, to those planning
Town Meetings and peace demonstrations.

Check out http://www.olympus.net/community/ptforpeace/portrait.html to
see 800 locals who showed up on short notice for a Not in Our Name group
photo in this small town. The PT peace movement is also sending someone
to Iraq with a Voices in the Wilderness delegation. Stood with banners
all night New Year's Eve at a busy intersection; regular films and
speakers have also kept the issues talked about here.