Re: request for guesstimate
From: Martie Weatherly (martiewearthlink.net)
Date: Sat, 4 Jan 2003 01:24:02 -0700 (MST)
I believe we have three Unitarians in our community of 35 adults, of
which I am one. In fact, I am in cohousing because of a discussion we
had at our church retreat about 20 years ago. We brainstormed what kind
of housing we would like to live in if we could invent anything. And we
came up with cohousing, although it wasn't cohousing yet. We had the
houses in a circle with a pedestrian path, parking on the perimeter,
private homes with a common house with a room for teens. It is really
eerie to think of it, because it was so definitely cohousing.

Nothing came of it until one of the participants told me several years
later that she heard of something like what we had created and sent me
to Ann Zabaldo and here I am.

I would say that Unitarians commitment to a society that works leads
people naturally to cohousing. And their interest in creating solutions,
which led us to have that discussion at all.

Martie Weatherly
Liberty Village, Libertytown, MD
martiew [at] earthlink.net