Unitarians & Marketing [was: request for guesstimate]
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Sat, 4 Jan 2003 07:58:12 -0700 (MST)
On 1/04/2003 3:22 AM, "Martie Weatherly" <martiew [at] earthlink.net> wrote:

> I would say that Unitarians commitment to a society that works leads
> people naturally to cohousing. And their interest in creating solutions,
> which led us to have that discussion at all.

Unitarians are an excellent source of members. In addition to the reasons
Marty mentions is that by definition they understand how you can be
comfortable in a community that allows and supports all kinds of personal
beliefs. A Unitarian church community can comfortably include practicing
Jews, Catholics, Buddhists, etc. Like large cities, most Unitarians are from
"somewhere else".  They have experience with new ideas and difference.

Most of them chose to be Unitarians because they were searching for both
community and for better ways to live. The church has also initiated several
programs over the years to recreate extended families.

If no one in your group has Unitarian contacts, contact the minister of a
nearby church and they will put you in contact with the appropriate
committee. (Only Unitarians have as many meetings as Cohouslings.)

And while paid advertising is generally not a good way to find members,
advertising in the Unitarian Universalist publications may be an excellent
idea. Unitarians include a lot of people who will rearrange their lives to
live where and how they want to live.

Sharon Villines
Takoma Village Cohousing, Washington DC
http://www.takomavillage.org