Re: Unitarians (what's that?) [was: request for
From: Art Gorski (agorskirice.edu)
Date: Mon, 6 Jan 2003 16:50:02 -0700 (MST)

As Joani and Rob have pointed out there is a strong affinity between some
Unitarians-Universalists and cohousing.  I've certainly run across (and
am) one of those connections. But as a percentage of people involved with
cohousing, I'm guessing overall UU's are a pretty small percentage.
Fred's very wild guess:  2% +/- 1.9%  (i.e. 0.1 to 3.9% :)

BTW note that I refered to people "involved with cohousing" not "who live
in"; for example I don't live in cohousing.

Also there are relatively small numbers of UU's in the US, and relatively
few are involved with cohousing.

There are at least 250,000 UUs in the US, although the US Census says that more than 3 times that many identify themselves as UU. :-)

At Manzanita Village Cohousing, about 40% of the residents are UU. When we build our home there this year, we'll add 2 more. The local UU congregations include folks who worked on Manzanita Village early on but are no longer involved actively.

Art Gorski    <http://is.rice.edu/~agorski/>
90% Houston, Texas and 10% Prescott, Arizona