Unitarians or Unitarian Universalists in Cohousing
From: Joani Blank (joaniswansway.com)
Date: Tue, 7 Jan 2003 01:38:01 -0700 (MST)

When I say that UUs are over-represented in cohousing I mean that there is a higher percentage of UUs involved in cohousing than the percent of UUs in the general population. I've now heard from 4 different built communities that have 12 to 18 or 20 percent UU residents, and Manzanita Village claims 40%! My not-so-wild guess is that Fred's "very wild guess" is very low. That would be only 2-4 people in a community of 100.

Joani

 But as a percentage of people involved with
cohousing, I'm guessing overall UU's are a pretty small percentage.
Fred's very wild guess:  2% +/- 1.9%  (i.e. 0.1 to 3.9% :)

There are at least 250,000 UUs in the US, although the US Census says that more than 3 times that many identify themselves as UU. :-)

At Manzanita Village Cohousing, about 40% of the residents are UU.
When we build our home there this year, we'll add 2 more. The local UU congregations include folks who worked on Manzanita Village early on but are no longer involved actively.